Monday, June 14, 2010

Bluebirds are GO!

Well, not quite. As much as I'd love to inform you that the engine is back in and all it needs now is a tune and a good run in... I can't. But I have driven it, about 50 metres back and forward...which is at least a start. You may think I am kinda jumping the gun here, and that I've missed some bits of the story but I'm not. See the thing is, I went to work one weekend with the engine out of the car and when I came home again *TA-DA* it was in.


I'm by no means complaining, it just means that there was no eventful stories or anacdotes to blog about. So I skipped it! All I really had to do with getting the engine in was to make sure everything was in the right place, reconnect some earths and turn the key. We did have some dramas at first when it finally came to starting the engine. See it would kick over but not start. So we did the usual fault finding things (yay, fault finding....), check for spark, check for fuel, and there was our problem. No fuel. Turns out we pulled the fuse for the fuel pump when we first started so it wouldn't spray fuel every where when we turned the car on. With the fuse back in place we tried again. No luck! The battery we were using had carked it, so we put the jump starter on charge and messaged Red to see if he could help. An hour later Red came over with his battery, connected it up and it had life. Idled like shit, but alive nonetheless.

So everything (apart from the idle) seemed good. Once it warmed up it idled well, Glenn brought his 400 year old timing light over and fixed the timing, and all seemed to be going well...until we looked under the car. There was a massive leak. Possibly rear main seal. Too big to let go.

So now the engine has to come out again. *Sigh* But in saying that with the engine out the clutch engagement point (the floor) can be changed to a more reasonable spot and also clean out/replace the IAC valve (which should help the cold idle...hopefully), which is in a bitch of a spot to get to. There was two IACV's that we could choose from, one from the original engine and one from the one I bought, no idea which one we used and not 100% sure if changing it will help, but there is only one way to find out.

So, long story short, its back to where we were 6 months or so ago.....shit balls! At least I dont have to do anymore sanding, eh, painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment